Saturday, January 2, 2010

Welcome to the 2010s

The Word Of The Day is Decadence.

Welcome to the 2010s.  As I'm sure you have all noticed, I've been away for the last month dealing with various ailments.  Honestly, I'm not any better, but since we're in a new decade, I figured it was time to start fresh.

Two days into the new decade and already we're seeing stories of stupidity.  The Mike Leach/Adam James situation is stupid.  If a kid has a concussion, YOU SEND THE KID HOME.  You don't lock him up in a utility closet, or a shed, or whatever.  He has no reason to be out anywhere near a football field if he's concussed.  It was your responsibility Mike Leach, and for you to have the balls to go on national television and try to blame the kid and/or his parents, it shows a real lack of responsibility on your part.  I don't expect that we'll see Leach patrolling the sidelines anytime soon, especially with as prominent as concussions have become.

It was reported in the New York Post that Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenden got into an argument in early December that involved the presence of guns.  Really???  You're holding guns in your locker, Gilbert?  Keeping them at home I can understand, but having multiple firearms in your locker?  Stupid.  I guess the Rae Carruth, Plaxico Burress, Lawrence Phillips, Maurice Clarett, et al. stories must have missed your brain cells, huh.

And then we have Edwin Encarnacion.  Or should I say, his family.  Now I get that everyone wants to celebrate the New Year, but go somewhere else to do it.  Lighting your own fireworks is a sure recipe for disaster.  Luckily the injuries aren't serious for Edwin.

Today is Upset Central in college basketball.  #5 Syracuse goes down at home to Pittsburgh (who I don't understand why they weren't ranked at 11-2).  Boston College goes down at home to Maine (that's right, Maine, a team that lost to the aforementioned Syracuse by over 40 just a few weeks ago).  Rhode Island knocked off Oklahoma State (some people might not see this as an upset, but an A-10 team over a Big 12 team is an upset in my book). 

This college bowl season just hasn't been very exciting, in my estimation.  Yeah, there have been some exciting games, but the marquee games haven't lived up to the hype at all.  The only two games I'm really looking forward to haven't been played yet:  TCU/Boise State and Texas/Alabama.  I look forward to seeing these games, and hopefully the hype behind them is lived up to.  Don't disappoint me.

Looking forward to the NFL games tomorrow too.  A lot of games with playoff implications to be watched, and quite frankly, even with Drew Brees taking a day off tomorrow, I fully expect my fantasy team to hold on to its 41 point lead and win my league title.  (Adding Vince Young should cement it, although I don't think it was necessary.)

On a personal note, I know that I had announced a few times on my Twitter page (@WordOnTheFarm) that I was going to do an Aughts In Review blog.  Unfortunately, my physical health in the month of December kept me from doing a lot of things, so I focused what little energy I had on school and my real job.  Now that we are in a new decade, I will focus entirely on the topics at hand.  Coming up within the next two weeks: my baseball and football Hall of Fame ballots, if I had a vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment