Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Monday In Review

What an exciting day we had last night in sports.

The word on the farm today is barn-burner.

Before I get into last night's action, let me give my condolences to the University of Connecticut football team and to the family of cornerback Jasper Howard, who was murdered Saturday night after a school sponsored dance. While I mourn his death, I have to question why a bunch of football players were out after midnight. Doesn't the team have a curfew? I can't put myself in the situation of the two kids who were holding him, watching him die in their arms. It's very understandable if they end up not playing this Saturday against West Virginia.

I'm going to pile on to the mainstream media's criticism of the way Joe Girardi handled his pitching staff last night. I don't understand why Girardi took out David Robertson, who has nasty filthy stuff, for Alfredo Aceves in the 11th inning. I would rather have the guy with the best stuff out there in the playoffs, and save a guy like Aceves for a blowout game.

Bobby Abreu, what were you doing in the 8th inning? There was no need for you to try to turn a double into a triple with no outs. If the Angels get that run in the 8th inning, we don't see the 11th inning. And for all of the people (Jimmy Traina) who are slurping the kool-aid that is Derek Jeter's defense, get a clue. ANY shortstop with ANY defensive talent makes that play. The shortstop of the local high school team here makes that play. And he's no Derek Jeter.

Joe Torre, I told you this last night, I'm going to tell you this again. DON'T PITCH TO RYAN HOWARD. The man is a beast. This series is now over.

Memo to the Chargers and Broncos special teams: Make a tackle. Lay a hand on the returners. It's inexplicable that Eddie Royal can catch a punt ON A BOUNCE and run it back for a touchdown. To have three kick returns for a touchdown in one game is inexplicable. I know Darren Sproles and Royal are excellent returners, but still, it should not happen. And I'm officially starting the Josh McDaniel for Coach of the Year campaign. Who had the Broncos at 6-0? I didn't.

Steve Smith (the Carolina one, not the NY Giants one), just shut up. I understand your frustration, I really do. You're saddled on a team whose quarterback I could outplay. But to whine that you are not a vital piece to the Carolina Panthers? Just shut up and play, you're no longer the best Steve Smith in football now. Prove me wrong. I dare you.

Speaking of horrible Carolina Panthers players, how did cornerback Dante Wesley only get a one game suspension for that horrible hit on Clifton Smith? He launched himself in Smith for crying out loud. Wesley needs to be out for the season to make him an example for the rest of the league. He was trying to make a play? That was an absolutely ridiculous, classless play by Wesley. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. (Yes, I'm talking to you Tim Hasselbeck.)

The BCS rankings are out. Yawn. Talk to me in December.

The Detroit Shock are moving to Tulsa, Oklahoma. Yawn. But seriously, what does it say about the WNBA that a team with THREE championships can't make it in their city? Let me know when the league folds, because this is the beginning of the end.

I think Tom Brady just threw another touchdown pass to Randy Moss.

My NFL Top Five:
1. New Orleans Saints. Destroyed the Giants defense for 48 points.
2. Minnesota Vikings. Adrian Peterson and Brett Favre are leading this team.
3. Denver Broncos. They are really good. Seriously. They have all three components going, special teams, offense AND defense.
4. Indianapolis Colts. This low only because they had a bye last week.
5 (tie). New England Patriots. Their offense just woke up. I would be scared if I'm the rest of the NFL.
5 (tie). New York Giants. They're still good. They're just not as good as we thought they were.

My NFL Bottom Five:
32. Washington Redskins. I know there are still winless teams. But they've struggled against winless teams in EVERY game this year.
31. St. Louis Rams. They are weak. Very, very weak.
30. Tennessee Titans. Maybe they should be 32 because a team quitting is completely unacceptable.
29. Cleveland Browns. Their offense is pathetic, their defense isn't much better.
28. Tampa Bay Buccanneers. They will fall even further after this week's game against New England.

Quick prediction on tonight's Yankees/Angels game. Sabathia on three days rest, I'm not sure I like that idea. Girardi has been micromanaging too much, so I'm going to give the Angels another win tonight in game four.

No comments:

Post a Comment